Saturday 11 January 2014

Stone Brewing Company, Ruination IPA

Vicky and I shared this bottle after a long drive back from visiting my extended family for Wigilia. Previously, we'd both sampled this (double?) IPA from Stone on keg at the Westow where it was quite impressive: hazy, thick, obviously obscenely hoppy and brilliant (and possibly a lower abv?). I'm afraid to say that this bottle didn't quite measure up. Hoppy yes, piney bitterness yes, but not thick, not hazy and unfortunately not my cuppa to be honest. I was expecting something akin to Racer 5 - bottle conditioned with a good amount of the relevant body to it, but more so for a DIPA at 8%+1. This was, dare I say it, actually a bit thin? For me, the Danes and O'Riordan do DIPAs better. This bottle set me back £4.60(ish) from Utobeer.

1 Of course I've been griping about the yeast in BC beers in recent posts, but it certainly seems that BC'd IPAs produce my favourite type, i.e: Hoppiness, nearly all Kernels and Rechurch Great Eastern.

No comments:

Post a Comment